Would you like to enhance your current knowledge and also practice how to effectively use Motivational Interviewing (MI)? This series will provide a 20-hour curriculum that covers topics and provides interactive practice opportunities essential to the development and/or refinement of MI skills and relational style. Emphasis is placed on the “intentional use” of MI skills to identify a change goal, resolve ambivalence and increase motivation for change.
Every Tuesday, October 9 – December 11, 2018, 2:00-3:30 p.m. (Central) Note: No session on November 20th
- Demonstrate evoking Change Talk
- Discern between intentional and non-directional use of MI skills
- State the reason(s) for choosing and using a specific MI skill at a particular moment
- Describe the relationship between the process of change, ambivalence and Motivational Interviewing
- Conduct a personal assessment and develop an individualized MI Strengths & Growth Opportunities plan
- Behavioral Health, Substance Use Disorders, and Recovery Service providers located in the Mountain Plains ATTC region (HHS Region 8)
- In order to be eligible and register for the MI-IP Series, applicants are required to complete the 4-hour, free, self-paced, online course Tour of MI: An Interprofessional Road Map for Behavior Change and submit an electronic copy of your certificate of completion during the registration process.
PARTICIPANT COMMITMENT AND EXPECTATIONS
- Prior to the first session on October 9th view a 20-minute video tutorial on how to use and maximize the videoconferencing platform
- Attend a live one-hour Orientation to Technology Session on Tuesday, October 9th at 1:00pm MT/2:00pm CTto demonstrate mastery of the basic technology skills required to participate
- Commit to 8-weeks of training, for 1.5 hours weekly on scheduled series days/times and complete ONE hour of weekly learning activities
- Access to appropriate technology to utilize online videoconferencing platform (i.e., internet connection, built-in or USB webcam, laptop/tablet, built-in/USB/Bluetooth speakers & microphone)
- Be prepared and actively engage while on camera 90% of the scheduled series time