Peer support specialists bring hope by sharing their experiences and promoting a sense of belonging.
Peer support is effective.
- Improves quality of life.
- Improves whole health, including conditions like diabetes.
- Improves engagement and satisfaction with services and supports.
- Decreases hospitalizations and inpatient stays.
- Reduces health care costs.
Peer support has existed in the behavioral health field for decades; however, its rapid growth in recent years in due to the increasing evidence supporting its effectiveness.
What are peer support specialists?
Peer support specialist use their experience to:
- Establish positive rapport.
- Serve as a pro-social model.
- Offer insight to the individual’s care team.
- Provide support focused on advocacy, coaching, and mentoring.
Recovery is a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live self-directed lives, and strive to reach their full potential.
Health: Choices that support one’s overall well-being.
Home: A safe and stable place to live.
Purpose: Meaningful daily activities, such as job, school, or volunteering.
Community: Relationships and social networks that provide support, friendship and love.
Want to network with other peer support specialists? Contact Adam Martin at email@example.com.
Recovree is a software comprised of two products, a web-based portal for recovery coaches and an app for those they serve. The app is used to complete daily reelections and log experiences to identify challenges and showcase progress. Recovery coaches can view each reflections through their individual portal. These insights are used to identify specific needs, resources and even potential intervention opportunities. In addition, the portal is used to track time, notes about interactions and export information for reimbursement and grant reporting.
Recovree was selected as the winner of the $50,000 Innovate Recovery Competition through Recovery Reinvented 2018, among seven other finalists who presented to a diverse panel of judges. The competition was previously announced at last year’s Recovery Reinvented to generate the most innovative solution to impact recovery in North Dakota. Recovree produces peer support specialist software designed to create more meaningful conversations, intervention opportunities, efficiencies and data to ultimately improve recovery outcomes.
Can I use Recovree?
If you are a trained peer support specialist in North Dakota, you may be eligible to use the Recovree software free of charge!
How do I start using Recovree?
WHAT is the Peer Support Specialist Training?
The North Dakota Department of Human Services’ Behavioral Health Division has brought in Appalachian Consulting Group’s (ACG) curriculum for peer specialist training, which is a person-centered, goals-oriented, strengths-based curriculum. It is based on the belief that setting a person-centered goal is the heart of the recovery process. Recovery is the process of gaining and maintaining control over one’s life – and the direction one wants that life to go – on the other side of a mental health diagnosis, substance use disorder, and all of the losses associated with those challenges. Attendees will learn the core competencies, roles, and tools of conducting Peer Support Specialist work in their communities.
WHO should attend?
- A person who has lived experience in their recovery from mental illness and/or substance use disorder who is 18 years of age or older.
- A person who is committed to helping others.
- A person who is willing to publicly identify as a person living in recovery for the purpose of educating, role modeling, and providing hope to others about the reality of recovery.
- Attendees must be present for the entire training week.
- There is no registration cost for the training.
- Hotel rooms will be provided to attendees travelling from more than 60 miles away.
APRIL 8-12, 2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm every day
Astoria Hotel & Suites
363 15th St West
Dickinson, ND 58601
MAY 6-10, 2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm every day
Holiday Inn Bismarck
3903 State Street
Bismarck, ND 58503